To break down the footage, we decided to go through each 'rush' and sub-clip each section - break it down and make it have one purpose or focus (instead of one massive roll of film which contains several important parts that might accidentally be overlooked).
We first focused on breaking down the picture footage, because there was quite a lot of footage, and it allowed to understand a little about what the story was meant to be about.
After breaking down the footage (because there was so much of it!) we decided to start creating Bins for particular features within the film. For example, I created a bin called Character Shots, which contains shots that focus on the characters, in regards to CU, Mid Shot and others, as there are many shots that do not contain people. I also added folders such as scenic shots, which was ordered by time of day they appeared to be filmed at - so I could use them at the right time in the story without jumping from night to day by accident.
After completing the breakdown of picture footage, we went on to focus on the narration. Since this was a key feature to our assessment, it was important that we understood the narration, how to use it and what we had so we could create a story later in the process. To help us, we received a written script (shown below) (MY NOTES ARE IN COLOUR, the others are original ones):
After breaking up the narration into what we wanted to use, we broke it down on Final Cut Pro. Breaking it into small sections so we could work more freely with each phrase that was said.
The last thing we needed to break down before we thought about starting our assembly was the audio rushes, which will be useful in creating a sound design within the work.
To do this, we did the same as the picture footage, by listening and sub-clipping separated sections to use with ease later on.
After breaking everything down, and now we had parts of script we wanted to use, we could start our Rough Assembly.